Donate Now

Blog Archives

100 Years Ago: Building upon the basics

After our first successful camping season at the Richmond site the year before, a flurry of activity started to take place in the Spring of 1920. Several key decisions had to be made in order to prepare for the “bigger and better” summer ahead. Over the course of March and April that year, the Board […]

100 Years Ago: Preparing for our Permanent Home

  After hosting Camp Takodah’s first summer in Richmond, Daniel Lorentz, 2nd Secretary of the County Y, reported to the Board of Directors in October that plans were progressing quite well to expand the property and programs with an eye on the future. He talked about how happy the twenty-seven boys had been that July […]

One Space, Many Lives: The Elwell Chapel

  In the earliest days of the 1920s, Takodah was just starting to take shape. There wasn’t too much to see or do around the property for the relatively small number of campers and staff that were onsite during the summer months. There was a few rustic buildings, some musty canvas tents, a small open […]

Lost Takodians of World War II

In the 73 years since Memorial Lodge was dedicated, it has been a place of celebration and joy. From classes to Candlelight and from wicker armchairs to rustic weddings, “Mem” is one of the first places people think of when they think about Camp. In all those years, however, the story of the twelve Takodians […]